This recipe is the ultimate in easy cooking. So easy, my son could make it! He's really learning to be a pretty good cook! For my birthday, he made pesto chicken, rice, and veggies. He didn't want to make that again for Mother's Day. He needed something fairly simple so he came up with Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole (print recipe)
5 or 6 boneless chicken breast, cooked and chopped (we like to grill ours)
2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large jar of gf salsa
1 package of gf corn tortillas
1. Spread a couple spoonfuls of salsa in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
2. Add a layer of corn tortillas
3. Add the chicken, onion, and green pepper and spread out evenly over the tortillas.
4. Spread the jar of salsa over the chicken mixture.
5. Top with another layer of tortillas.
6. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese of the top of the casserole and bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts. About 15 to 20 minutes.
Cooks notes: This is a recipe made to taste. If you want to stuff the tortillas and roll them with the meat mixture, then top with salsa and cheese, that is fine to do. I did not give a jar size for the salsa because it is according to taste as well. If you like more, add more! Buy a big jar! This is a recipe you can play with. We also like to put sliced jalapeno peppers on top of our casserole. You can also add sour cream and fresh guacamole after baking. If you are vegetarian, you can make this same recipe with beans. The tortillas I like are "Food for Life" yellow sprouted corn tortillas.
Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day! Hopefully this post made sense. I was trying to wrangle a puppy while typing it! My best friend raises Cairn Terriers and her female, Bailey, had it's last litter of puppies. Kati has always wanted one of Bailey's puppies. Somehow, she brought one home with her and caught us at a weak moment. Her name is Charli. Here are some puppy pictures for your enjoyment…..
Hanging out with her new buds.
Playing in the grass.
Sleeping with her brother.